Thursday, September 23, 2010

Awenda Inspired 2010 - Giant's Tomb


A view of Giant's Tomb from the beach, with a pretty white sailboat passing by in the distance. The weather was pleasant, but unremittingly cloudy, for most of the day.

I have forced myself to persevere with plein air work, despite my former distaste for painting rocks and trees. I have to say I really enjoyed painting the distinctive large rocks and grasses in this scene. I think I am finally starting to get the hang of this and enjoying it more!

Plein air painting is really addictive - enjoying the sights, sounds, smells and sensations of being in nature imprints the experience on your being. Even the discomforts - wind, rain, snow, hail, scorching sun and bugs, for instance - are bearable because painting brings you so much into the present and therefore is unforgettable.

The heavens finally opened up around 3 in the afternoon when I had to make a dash for shelter.

This group of paintings and other works inspired by the day will be exhibited in May/June 2011 at Quest Art Gallery in Midland, Ontario.

No comments: